Monday 2 July 2007

Day 11 Inverness to Helmsdale


June 29 2007. Fortunately, I decided to check if the ferry across the Cromarty Firth was operating. The boat, due to start running from the end of May, was still undergoing repairs. Hastily re-drawing the route on the laptop meant I missed out on some nice B-roads on the Black Isle and was forced back onto my old favourite - the A9. Another familiar opponent, the north wind, was also back, albeit not in the same force as previous days and at least it was dry. I felt good on the bike, although the route was quite lumpy. For a brief moment I considered the idea of riding the whole remaining 123 miles to John O'Groats to finish a day early. Luckily, good sense prevailed and I opted for an early bath in the comfortable Bridge Hotel in Helmsdale.

70 miles, 16.1 mph

No comments: