Tuesday 3 July 2007

Day 3 Littleborough to Bristol


June 21 2007. My health was a little better and I believed I was over the worst. I still sounded like Leonard Cohen after smoking 60 Capstan full-strength unfiltered, but my lungs felt clearer. For its part, the weather showed little sign of improvement and was still very wet. I obviously have brilliant timing, having managed to pick the wettest June since records began for my End-to-End.

The good news was that the south-easterly cross wind would become a tailwind in the latter part of the day when I turned due north. Riding across the Somerset levels in the middle of the day was a welcome change from the constant hills of Devon and Cornwall. I rolled into Bristol in much better spirits, for a rendezvous with my wife and mum at the very comfortable Hotel du Vin. This was the posh, extravagant part of the tour, picked in good part for its bathrooms - with roll-top baths and walk-in showers powerful enought to nail you to the shower tray.

80 miles, 14.5 mph

No comments: