Tuesday 3 July 2007

Day 2 Trevone to Littleborough, near Tiverton


June 20 2007. I felt like a pro cyclist today. Not because of the impressive speeds at which I was eating up the miles, but because I felt so sick I wanted to stay in bed, but still had to get on the bike. More rain and a very strong gusting crosswind were no help either. It was the worst day I have ever spent on a bike. My right lung sounded very wheezy and I was scared of developing a tour-ending chest infection before I had barely begun. It was impossible to relax on the downhill sections because of the wet roads and strong winds and there were plenty of hills. There was nothing for it but to slow to a crawl and ride at very low heart rates to minimise the stress on my body.

I was incredibly pleased to grovel into my friends Dan and Jude's farmhouse in Littleborough for a vast comforting cottage pie.

73.6 miles, 12.8 mph

No comments: